I am a professor of industrial engineering at the aeronautics and space institute (ISAE, University of Toulouse), in charge of the Industrial Engineering Section of the SUPAERO graduate program.
My research interests are planning and scheduling models for project and production management, taking into account resources as workforce and energy.
ENERGY CONCERNS IN PRODUCTION PLANNING AND SCHEDULING
- The thesis of Mujtaba Agha (2009) focused on the use of Combine Heat and Power (CHP) plants to provide utilities (electricity, steam) for batch processes. The integration of batch process and CHP plant production planning leads to a significant reduction of fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Energy-intensive industries (steel, cement manufacturing...) face growing energy costs and environment problems. Flexible electricity prices modify the way to schedule the production. We have investigated the cases of a foundry and a steel plant (Haït and Artigues, 2011) and proposed various scheduling models for these applications (Artigues, Lopez and Haït 2013).
PROJECT CAPACITY PLANNING
- At an aggregate level, the resources assigned to a project are managed by period (week or month). However the work packages may start and/or end during a period. We have proposed a new discrete- and continuous-time model to perform project planning at this level in Haït and Baydoun (2012).
- Current work, done with Georges Baydoun and Prof. Robert Pellerin from Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, considers work package overlap that is commonly used during the design and development phases of engineering projects. This work is supported by the Jarislowski SNC-Lavalin research chair on project management.
PRODUCTION PLANNING UNDER UNCERTAINTY
- The thesis of Malek Masmoudi (2011) deals with helicopter maintenance planning. Uncertainties in the aircraft arrivals and the maintenance tasks to be performed make the maintenance workforce scheduling problem difficult. A fuzzy capacity planning model has been developed.
- Current work of Maxime Godeau at Astrium UK deals with satellite assembly planning, with uncertainty on equipement arrivals.
A list of selected publications is given HERE.
SUPAERO GRADUATE PROGRAM
- MA101 Introduction to optimization : linear programming.
- GI316 Operations Research : integer programming.
- GI321 Modeling and simulation of production systems : discrete-event simulation (SIMIO and ARENA softwares).
- GI322 Production management : Production planning and scheduling, just-in-time.
MSc IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, OPERATIONS RESEARCH PROGRAM
- Combinatorial optimization : decomposition approaches (Dantzig-Wolfe, Benders)
At ISAE (2007-present) :
- Representative of the professors at the ISAE Board (since 2014)
- In charge of the Industrial Engineering section of the SUPAERO graduate program
- In charge of Industrial Engineering major, 3rd year of the SUPAERO graduate program
- In charge of Information and Decision Systems major, 3rd year of the SUPAERO graduate program (2007-2012)
- Coordinator for the relations with Canada (research and academic exchanges)
ENSIACET (1999-2003 and 2005-2007) :
- Head of the Industrial Engineering department (2006-2007)
- In charge of the Project Management Major, 3rd year of ENSIACET’s graduate program in Industrial Engineering
- Coordinator for the academic exchanges of the Industrial Engineering department
- Professor of Industrial Engineering in the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Control, ISAE, Toulouse, France (Sept. 2012-present)
- Associate professor of Industrial Engineering in the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Control, ISAE, Toulouse, France (Sept. 2007-Sept 2012)
- Visiting researcher in the Department of Mathematics and Industrial Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Montréal, Canada (Sept. 2003-Sept. 2005)
- Assistant professor of Industrial Engineering at ENSIACET (graduate school of Chemistry, Chemical, Process and Industrial Engineering), National Polytechnic Institute of Toulouse, Toulouse, France (Sept 1999-Sept 2007)
- Teaching and research associate (ATER) in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Systems, National Polytechnic Institute of Toulouse, Toulouse, France (Sept 1997-Sept 1999)
- HDR (French post-doctoral degree allowing its holder to supervise PhD students) in Industrial Engineering, "Integrating resource decisions in production scheduling", University of Toulouse, March 2012.
- PhD in Robotics, "Robust motion planning on a rough terrain for an autonomous planetary rover", University of Toulouse, LAAS-CNRS, 1998.
- MSc in Computer Science and Control, University of Toulouse, 1994.
- MEng in Mechanical engineering, INSA Toulouse, 1992.
- Certified Demand Driven Planner (in progress).
- Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM), APICS The association for operations management, 2009.
- Modules of the Project Management certification of AFITEP (french project management association, affiliated to IPMA).